Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Unhhhhhh!

He grunted. But was it a good grunt or a bad grunt? Did the skater just complete a triple loop double toe salchow spinny thing better than he had ever done? Or did he just barely make it and his score is in jeopardy?

If you listened to Scott Hamilton's commentary during the Olympic men's figure skating competition, you couldn't tell.

Most of us have watched these competitions all our lives. If you're like me, you don't have a clue about figure skating and depend on the "experts" to tell you if you're seeing something great or awful. Sometimes it's easy. When a guy crashes and burns, he's usually "done."

I thought the American contender, Evan Lysacek, was doing well during his long program, but there was a whole lot of grunting and I wasn't sure until the scores were announced. I liked his program and I liked the joy and anticipation on his face when his music ended.

The last skater to go was the Russian, and Scott Hamilton grunted a lot during his program, too. Yeah, the Russian did the "quad" at the beginning of his program. But then there were longer sections of just skating around, and it seemed to me that the Russian wasn't quite vertical during many of his spins. But what do I know? And I couldn't interpret Scott's grunts.

Even the men in my family couldn't interpret the grunt-speak. We all waited for the announcement of the scores, to see if the favored Russian would score high enough to overtake Evan. He didn't.

Congratulations to the 2010 Olympic Men's Figure Skating Champion - Evan Lysacek from the United States of America!


No comments: