Friday, January 1, 2010

Writing It Down


It has been many years since I considered New Year's Resolutions.

When you are younger, your path is fairly set - get an education, get a job, get married, have a family. Sure there are a thousand details, but the destination is always viewable on the horizon. The path can be winding or straight, but ultimately leads to the same place.

Now I've done those things.

I always joked that I had four kids so that it would keep me busy. But in my fifties, if that is what's keeping me busy, I am meddling. My starring role of "mother" is mostly a supporting one now. Sure there are a thousand details left to wrap up, but it's time to pick a new horizon to become the big picture.

So what do I want to do with the second half of my adult life? (When I first wrote that sentence I used "last" instead of "second." I think "second" sounds less maudlin, don't you?)

Do I want to be creative? That could be tricky, considering I am a Certified Public Accountant and I like it.

Do I want to be intellectual? Doubtful, as that would require me to study.

Do I want to be athletic again? This sounds like more fun, if I could do it without the requisite pain of using muscles I haven't thought about in a long time.

Uncertain as to the future, I am writing down things I can do this year to steady my drifting and get me moving again. So here goes........my 2010 New Year's Resolutions:

Take reasonable care of myself. That means actually getting a physical checkup and a long overdue colonoscopy and mammogram. Whether I get braces or not, I will at least get my teeth cleaned. And I will go to the dermatologist and have my moles checked and some of those irritating age related spots removed. This all sounds simple, but it will be a trial for me. I avoid going to the doctor or dentist because I don't want to waste my time. I know, I know, it's not a waste.

Keep my office neater. Somehow over the last couple of years I have totally lost control and spend too much time paralyzed by the clutter. I can't fix this all at once, so my goal is to have my office neat more often than it is a disaster. Who knows, maybe it will rub off on the rest of the house. Prayers are appreciated.

Write or post pictures at least 10 times a month. I need to keep writing "remember when" stories to make up for all the kids' baby books I never finished!

Play racquetball and golf (and walk the dog.) I have a nagging concern I must either "use it or lose it." I loved raquetball in my twenties and as a racquetball court is relatively small, I don't have to be in shape to get started again. I have golf clubs and a membership, so it is ridiculous not to use them, especially since I can use a cart for the front or back nine (or both) if I'm tired. And a brief walk with the dog in the middle of the day will make her naps and my work afternoons more productive. Best of all, the racquetball and golf and some of the dog walking can be done with my husband!

Find a horizon to set out for. None of the other things I've listed above are monumental goals. I won't ever have the perfect office or a scratch golf game. Heck, I won't ever break a hundred twenty. In March and April my blog posting will be minimal. My dog will sometimes be neglected and let me hear about it. But if I work on the list I have set out, I should gradually have a more well ordered mind. Then maybe I'll be able to figure out that next horizon to head toward.

Boldly optimistic about 2010, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'll play some r-ball with you! Back in the day i was quite good!