Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Back and Forth

We got a ping pong table for Christmas. Since it doesn't require any real athleticism, I've been able to hold my own with the boys. In fact, my 20 year old won't play, since he can't beat me easily.

My 14 year old wants to play every day and weather permitting we have been, for months now. Since I consistently beat him (a longer reach and I played much in my teenage years) I wasn't playing most competitively.

This weekend we decided on a strategy where I spot him 7 points. When you only play to 21 that's a bit of a spot, forcing me to bring my "A" game.

The funny thing is, as I played with him at a higher level, his skill level rose dramatically. In a matter of days, I'm barely holding my own with no spot at all.

Hmmmm. Is this a lesson in raising expectations and getting results?

No comments: