Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Green State may save me from the Nanny State

Earlier I wrote about my angst related to the proposed national tax on colas and other "sins." I don't think I need to be told what I should eat. You can give me information, but I can make my own informed choices.

I'm also appalled at the environmental lobby run amuck. The Green mantra has become a religion, and always comes with a capital "G." Now I recycle, I minimize the use of bags and packaging materials, keep my thermostat set a at reasonable temperature (just under 80 degress) during the Texas summer and take other actions to avoid waste.

But I have thought the hysteria related to carbon emissions to be completely out of control. That is, until I saw the following in an online article...

"The climate committee is analyzing emissions from farming and will suggest measures to reduce them. However, it has concluded that people will have to change their habits.
The Carbon Trust, a government-funded firm, is working with food and drink companies to calculate the 'carbon footprints' of products - sometimes with surprising results.
Coca-Cola, for example, generates only about half the greenhouse gas emissions of Innocent's 'smoothies.' Cadbury's chocolate generates about 4.5 lb for every 2.2 lb eaten - less than half that from the CO2 of the same weight of chicken."

It looks like the greenhouse gas gurus may save my Coke and chocolate after all! And I promise I'll reduce my carbon footprint by taking several days to eat my 2.2 pounds of chocolate. Now if we can just keep the various government and political organizations busy arguing about what they have decided is best for you and for me, perhaps we can continue making our own decisions like the mature adults we are.

No comments: