Saturday, June 19, 2010

They did it to me again

Feeling a little stir crazy, I joined the family for a trip to Tinseltown this afternoon. It's the rare movie that can entertain a middle aged couple, a twenty something daughter and a teenage son.

I'm usually so-so with animated films, but "Toy Story 3" was worthy of the 5 star rating it received from both the Dallas and Fort Worth newspapers. It is just the right mix of clever humor and a good story, laugh out loud scenes and misty eyed moments.

"Toy Story 3" is a good movie to see if you are sometimes dismayed by life changes or have a hard time letting go. Unlike "Up," it is semi rather than bittersweet, so I left the movie refreshed and encouraged rather than emotionally drained. I'll be sure to watch it again three summers from now, as Wiley heads off to college.

Thank you, Pixar, for a fun afternoon.

I do have one beef, though. One of the reasons I go to the movies every now and then rather than waiting for the DVD is to see the previews. That's how I fake my way through adult conversations later on. Today's previews were for "Despicable Me," "Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue," "The Smurfs," "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hooie," and "Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore." I'd be golden if I had grandkids. I don't, but if you do, and need a heads up, let me know and I'll fill you in.

No comments: